Wednesday, September 9, 2009

A Reminder to Myself...again


Oops! I did it again. I got the urge to cook, found the kitchen and followed the urge to make use of it. This not-so-pretty picture was the result. It took me back to a post from sometime last spring, so I am re-posting it (I hope that's allowed) as a reminder to myself.



This is not a very attractive picture...not at all cute like blog pictures are supposed to be. I'm using it as a reminder to myself of why I don't cook very often, or at least to pay more attention when I do cook. Don't misunderstand, I can cook. In fact, I can cook pretty well when I make the effort. Unfortunately, my best efforts lie in the direction of the not so good for us Southern cooking that I grew up with, though I can do a more than passable job on heart-healthy if I try. I spent many years cooking every day, but pretty much gave it up about the time Joanna was 15 or 16 and didn't often show up at home for a meal, or had just eaten Taco Bell. Lately I have been making an effort to take my lunch to work instead of buying lunch every day (the economy and all), but I am pretty tired of the few things I usually have on hand to take. So, today I decided to go to the grocery store (ugh) and do some cooking for lunches, and maybe even a couple of dinners this week. I bought what I needed to make chicken noodle soup, a chicken casserole and chicken salad and came home feeling pretty smug and proud of myself. The picture tells the story. The knife, the onion and my thumb ended up on a collision course. The cut is not as bad as the bandage makes it look, but it was bleeding a lot and I still had cooking to do. I made it through the chicken noodle soup, and the chicken casserole. The chicken salad will have to wait for another day. Oh, and I'm pretty sure I spent more at the grocery store than I would spend buying lunch every day and a couple of dinners, and I've looked at so much chicken I'm not sure I really want to actually eat chicken any time soon.

5 comments:

  1. Awe, so sorry that had to happen! But it´s like Murphy´s law, when you finally decide to do some cooking, it goes wrong.
    I hope your soup still tastes good though!
    I don´t enjoy cooking that much either, but only get the luxury of buying dinner about once or twice a week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! I hate when my onion, knife and thumb crash! Reminds me of the Iron Chef show when Michael Simon (I think?) cut his finger and it was a bloody mess. We've all done it, and it does seem to usher the glamor of cooking right out of the kitchen... and our hearts.

    But I'm proud of you, nonetheless. Yay for chicken noodle soup!

    You're very right about the grocery bill adding up. By the time you've purchased all the spices and fresh produce AND MEAT, it probably is cheaper to just buy lunch. Still, cooking makes you feel good, regardless of your skill level. Keep cooking, chica!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, so sorry about the injury. I did that last Christmas dinner with my famous Aunt Marys scalloped potatoes. Hope you heal quickly and have a fantastic dinner. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How did you do it this time? Looks painful! You can always link to an old post if you want. But I'm sure re-posting is allowed too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ouch! Hope it's all better now. AND perhaps you better stay away from sharp knives eh? lol

    ReplyDelete