Friday, April 22, 2011

A Rocky Mountain High Night


Image from Google Images


I had a wonderful night last night. Thanks to my daughter, Joanna, I got to attend the John Denver Tribute Concert and his induction into the newly formed Colorado Music Hall of Fame.  For a Colorado resident and a fan of John Denver, the night couldn't have been better.

The show was hosted by Olivia Newton-John, and featured performances by The Nitty-Gritty Dirt Band, Lee Ann Womak, John Oates, Michael Martin Murphy and others, all paying tribute by performing John Denver songs. John Denver's three children and both of his wives were there to participate in the tribute.

There were two highlights of the show for me, other than the main one of getting to go with my daughter, who remembered a John Denver concert being the first concert she ever went to. One was Lee Ann Womak (wearing the highest heels I have ever seen) doing a stunning job of singing Sunshine On My Shoulders, a favorite of mine. The other was when John Denver's ex-wife, Annie Martel, spoke following a film showing John Denver singing Annie's Song. She tearfully expressed what a beautiful person he was and with some humor told how he wrote the song in 20 minutes on a ski lift in Aspen.

A lot of the show celebrated John Denver as an environmental activist, which made the ending especially poignant. All the participants came on stage to sing Rocky Mountain High (our state song) and stayed on stage while the audience joined them in singing the chorus over and over again.

A real Rocky Mountain High night.

18 comments:

  1. I love John Denver. I wished I could have went to the tribute. It's it great when we get to time with our loved ones. I think spending time with family is the best time in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful evening! I'm so glad you got to go. I remember his music and his environmental work. His music will live on for a very long time! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a very special evening, Jeanie. Glad you got to be part of it with your daughter! I remember where I was when I heard of his death, he was a great performer indeed!!

    (have a Happy Easter!!!)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. John Denver was one of my favorite singers and I had a bunch of his records. He seemed to be such a sincere, caring fellow. I loved his show with the Muppets.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful opportunity. I saw John Denver the first time when I was in college Country Roads made him famous. I think we paid $1 to see him at the Student Union. I got to see him years later at McNichols Arena in the round. We also saw him jogging near Aspen one summer wearing Colorado Flag jogging shorts. Always loved him. Still play his music in the car sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did any of John's children speak? It sounds like a special event for those performing as well as the audience. I too always liked John Denver. Did you take any pictures?

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds like a great night out with your daughter and a very special concert. I love concerts but haven't been to one in years.

    Have a wonderful Easter weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That must have been so moving, such an ending to a special night. I love John Denver too but haven´t heard his songs in a long time. What a treat to go with your daughter and hear so many great artists!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was always a Denver fan. He may have had the single most popular "signature song" that any singer ever had.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jeannie, I saw the concert on the news last night and thought about all his music. I too saw him in college, when he was just getting popular. I really wanted to move to Colorado because of him. I still sing his songs and love his music. How touching to have Annie there. I didn't realize RMH was our state song though. So glad you had such a good time.
    Happy Easter, Noreen

    ReplyDelete
  11. It sounds like a spectacular experience. I'm so glad you got to share it with your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It sounds like a really great time. A good concert can be so uplifting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so glad you were able to attend this event. I read about it in the Denver Post. What a treat it must have been to be there. Thanks for telling us all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like a great event.

    I was a great Denver fan in my youth!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It does sound like a very special night. His songs are so good to sing a to.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great time that must have been. So cool to be with your daughter too. I always liked him, but never saw him in person. I really didn't see anyone in person (o: Hope you are having a great day. I am resting for a minute waiting for the 'arrival' of the bunch (o:

    ReplyDelete
  17. So glad you had a wonderful time.
    John Denver was an awesome singer for sure.

    ReplyDelete