Friday, April 15, 2011

My Favorite Season Will Be Here Soon





I love that spring is finally here, with summer and fall to follow, all really beautiful times of year. My favorite season, though, is just around the corner. My family has 12 birthdays between May and September so that means my favorite season of all, Cake Season. Throw in the possibility of a cake for Mother's Day, Father's Day or the 4th of July and that is a lot of cake.

Celebratory cakes date back to ancient times when the Greeks made moon shaped honey cakes to take to the temple of the moon goddess, Artemis. In the middle ages the Germans celebrated the birth of Jesus with sweetened bread dough. This practice later re-emerged in Germany in celebration of children's birthdays.  As the art of baking developed through the ages it progressed to cake as we know it today some time in the middle of the 19th century. In our time cake has become an art form.


The world's largest birthday cake, weighing 130,000 lbs, was served in Las Vegas in 2005 to celebrate the Las Vegas centennial.

Our cakes won't be that big or weigh that much. Some of them may be works of art, others made from a box of cake mix and a can of frosting. Whether they are chocolate, strawberry or ice cream, they will all be a part of the important family celebrations that makes Cake Season my favorite season of them all.

14 comments:

  1. I loved all the information on cakes! History is so interesting. Look at that Vegas cake! I wonder if everyone in town got to have a piece?
    Have a bunch of Happy Birthdays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that will be a lot of cake and a lot of celebrating. How exciting. We have 7 March through May, and to me...that is a lot (o: Actually Jonah will have a sleep over here tonight. His dad will be in charge...and Rich and I will go as far away as possible. Just kiddin. I never did like boy sleepovers. That was before video games (well they did have a Nintendo, but were not game crazy). They ran around and made lots of noise. Anddddd probably caused their share of damage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woohoo!!! I do believe I've discovered my new favorite 'season' over here!!! ....and here I thought all along my favorite was summer!!!

    Your Spring sounds like our December. I had decreed no more weddin's or births in December! Heeehehe!!!

    God bless ya and have a fantastic Cake Season!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sweet German bread is called "Paska" and it´s especially made for Easter. I have not made it myself yet, but I know many people who do. I would rather have the real cake. :)
    Our cake season starts with my birthday in July til Oct.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yi-ha! Hurray for cake season!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh - I love cake season! What a good idea you have there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun with all those birthdays in that span of time!! I like your idea of cake season too!! I'm sure each cake though, however it is made or bought, is celebrated with great love for the birthday of the person being honored!!!

    enjoy the weekend!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  8. This post was so much fun to read. It was interesting to learn about cakes in celebrations. I'm all for cakes, preferably chocolate. July and August are huge birthday months for our family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very interesting History lesson. Our cake season starts in May and ends in August. I'll take mine with a scoop of vanilla please!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gotta love cake. We will have some birthday cake tonight at my step-daughter's birthday party. I wonder what kine it will be.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cake season right after getting through winter season. Wow. I really like this. And the info on cake was an added bonus in this post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love cake too! and pie and chocolate and anything sweet!

    ReplyDelete