Tuesday, October 20, 2009

It's Time For Us to Rescue A Dog




We've decided to get a dog. Actually, Doc has decided, since I have wanted one for a long time and he has said for a long time that he doesn't want to take on that much responsibility, expense, and all of the other things that go along with having a dog. I don't know what changed his mind, and I'm afraid to ask, but he said earlier this week that he thinks  it's time for us to get a dog. Voila! We are now in search of just the right dog for us.

We both agree that we want to get a rescue dog, or a dog from the animal shelter. We have both had dogs of various kinds throughout our lives. Doc grew up with Cocker Spaniels, but dearly loved my last dog, a very friendly Chow. We're both thinking probably a mutt of some sort, not too small, not too big, likes children and hopefully not much of a shedder.

It will be a little while before we actually get the little guy, or girl. We have some fence issues to sort out first. That is, we have no fence and a yard that is not very fenceable. As much as I want a dog, I don't want to have to get up extra early to take it for walks on cold mornings before I go to work. I have my limits as a dog rescuer. But, Doc is on the fence thing and when he gets on something he is like, well, he is like a dog on a bone.

7 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous picture! I hope you find the perfect dog mate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have one word for you: Dachshund.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck! Our Tootsie is from the Humane Society. She is a dear! Take the kids with you when you shop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that sounds exciting! I hope you find the right one for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fun picking out a new member of your family. Have fun anticipating.

    Have a terrific day filled with blessings!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that photo. Where did you find it? I love my rat terrier, Cookie, the only thing is she's not great with kids. She's also hyper, although maturity has helped.

    ReplyDelete