Sunday, October 25, 2009

Breast Cancer and My Best Friend


In December it will be seven years since my best friend, Suza (Soo-zay) died from breast cancer. She survived for three years after her diagnosis, with many complications along the way. I remember and miss her each day and especially in this month of special awareness.

Suza and I were best friends from sixth grade on. We were best friends through the perils of junior high, high school and college. She was my best friend through the death of both of my parents when I was only 18. We were best friends through weddings, births, and divorces. We were best friends through raising three children each as single mothers. I hope I was the best friend I could possibly be to her during the final challenge of her life.

I won't enumerate all the things you should do in regard to your own breast cancer awareness. We all know what they are. I only ask that you do them.

8 comments:

  1. I´m so sorry for the loss of your friend! Such a long time together, that must still hurt!
    Thanks for reminding us of the things we need to do, to avoid this disease!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How very lucky you both were to have each other. I'm sure she thinks of you as often as you do her.

    Thank you, too, for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you were blessed to have one another. I can tell it still hurts. Thanks for the reminder to all of us gals.

    Have a good week, God bless!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the reminder.. will go right now and give the boobs a good check over!
    Sad that you lost such a dear freind to the dreaded C.

    ReplyDelete
  5. so sorry for the loss of your friend. my mom is a 6 yr survivor and she lost her sister from the disease 7 years ago. thanks for the reminder :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sorry for the loss of your friend. My mother died of breast cancer. What I endorse for all of cancer awareness is to be very diligent in our diets in regards to chemicals, preservatives, white sugar and white flour. From the research I have done I do believe this has a great deal to do with our susceptibility.

    and like Chris H says, "give the boobs a once over", and do it once a month.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It takes a long time to get over the loss of a long time friend.

    ReplyDelete