Tuesday, January 29, 2013

I've Been Technologically Humbled



I've never claimed to be a technological genius but I felt like I was doing okay, until recently. A few things lately have put me in my place and left me technologically humbled.

I got a Kindle Fire HD a while back and I was able to do simple things on it like, well, like read a book. I wasn't doing much beyond that until my 10 year old granddaughter took me by the hand and gave me a lesson on all the other things I could do. With the help of a 10 year old, I am now a whiz (well, sort of) at using it for apps, the internet, Facebook, music, and all sorts of fun things. All good to know, but technologically humbling to have to learn from a 10 year old.

Recently I was at my daughter's house and my 5 year old granddaughter wanted to watch a show on Netflix.
When I picked up the remote and started pushing buttons she gave me an exasperated look and told me. "Grandmom, not that remote, this one". She then picked up the correct remote and started pushing buttons. The show she wanted was on the TV faster than I would have been able to find the power button on the remote. Sigh.....technologically humbled by a 5 year old. 

It got worse (you knew it would). Another time, recently, I was trying to find a game that my 2 year old grandson wanted to play on his mom's i pad. Yes, you guessed it....I couldn't find the game and he reached over and in a couple of taps on the screen had the game up and ready to play. Double sigh......technologically humbled by a 2 year old.


All I can do is keep learning........in the meantime I think I'll see if I can get one of my grandkids to show me how to do a few of the things I know my phone is supposed to be able to do that I haven't been able to figure out yet. 

16 comments:

  1. Hi Jeanie - You and me, both. It's a brand new world! Luckily our Grandkids can take us by the hand and lead us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL; I can totally relate Jeanie. I can't figure out our remote control or my cell phone :)

    It is neat though that the young ones can and are willing to teach us oldies but goodies :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear you - I thought it was bad when I had to ask my kids for help - now my grandson is telling me how to do things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What do you expect? THey've been using that stuff their whole life!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't that just great? Thank goodness for the young ones. They keep us up to date.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh boy do I know that humbling:) My grandchildren are also my guides through the 21st century. I love my Kindle Fire HD!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOl! But you are learning, right? That's all that matters. I think if you had grown up with all this technology we would be "fluent" with it too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's so true! My grandson, who is not even 3 yet, knows a lot more about Netflix than I do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so funny as I have had the same troubles. I still don't know how to use my daughter's TV. My grandson used to text me and I didn't know what to do - I still don't so he phones me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happens to me on a regular basis : ) I say thank heaven for my tech savvy kids! I'd be lost without them. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It can be humbling for sure. And, can you send one of the kids to my house to program my universal tv remote! I could sure use some help.
    Happy weekend, jj

    ReplyDelete
  12. I feel like I should hire a resident teen to help me with all things technological. I really do feel your pain. Which is why I still read paper books -- I know how to turn those pages!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Jeanie, I so know what you mean-usually I just go to my daughters for help, verses asking the grands. It is great that they pick it up so much. Now if Blogger would stop changing when we have it down pat, it would be nice.
    Hugs, Noreen

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love it!!! For some reason I have been reading real books...the kind with paper pages (o: I am sure I will go back to the Kindle though. Did you get the newer fancier Kindle fire? What apps do you use. I really never seem to do that. Yes... the wee ones are so 'savy' with all that. Beck sure looks cute in a tie. The only days I have free now are Mondays. I picked up another kid. That sounds wrong...lol I just checked the calendar, and today is the only free Monday this month! Yikes. Hey... want to meet me for lunch today? (o:
    March the 4th for coffee? I am glad I remembered to check your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Too funny and something I can definitely relate to. When we were in Illinois last year, my husband asked our daughter how to create folders on our iPhone. She told our 5-year old granddaughter, "Show grandpa, KC." Sheesh!

    ReplyDelete