Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Not Grumpy, Just Pious



Image from Google Images



When Dodger and I walk in the mornings we usually pass a few other people who are also out walking their dogs. I always say "good morning" or something friendly when we pass and people almost always reply with a friendly "hello" or "good morning. There is one man who walks a cute little brown dog, a neighbor who lives across the open space behind us, that never responds or even acknowledges that he sees or hears me. This man was walking in front of our house just as Dodger and I went out at about 7:30 this morning:

Me: (as usual) Good morning.

Him: (as usual)________.

Me: (thinking maybe he is just hard of hearing) Good Morning.

Him: Hmphh.

Me: (not thinking, just blurting out) Excuse me, but have I done something to make you angry or has my dog done something you don't like. I often see you walking and say "good morning" and you have never acknowledged or responded to me. I am very sorry if I have done something to offend you.

Him: Um, uh, oh, well, I am usually praying when I am walking....I am saying Hail Marys so I don't notice much.

Me. ________.

Me: ________.

Me: (finally) Um, uh, oh, well, that's great....have a nice day.


Well, at least now I know I haven't done anything to offend him (at least before today). Now maybe he will be praying for the crazy neighbor lady when he walks.

16 comments:

  1. I must admit I am grumpy, not pius in the morning. Those cheery hello's actually annoyed me.

    I did did at least nod my head and grunt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm - maybe he should pray that he is a bit more receptive to others and more mindful of the moment! I am shaking my head here. Glad you called him on it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Barb, was going to say that too. Maybe a respectful greeting would be better than prayer at that moment.
    But I admire you for not giving up on him and continuing to greet him. I would probably have stopped after the first couple of silent ___________'s. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you now you know and maybe he can give a iittle nod atleast

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is too funny. I have to agree with Barb. You'd think he could have at least nodded his head or something.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do always say "hi" to people when I'm walking Koda; hubby does the same. I used to pray when I walked Koda (I pray out loud) so I would stop praying when I would pass someone and still say hi to them so I think he still could have acknowledged you in some way Jeanie.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm... pretty sad that praying should cause rudeness. Good for you for asking though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would have ignored him after the first hello. Maybe he just wants his privacy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you said something. It would bother me to not know. Tootsie wouldn't last five minutes in your wonderful neighborhood...she'd be barking at everything that moved!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Funny!!! I would never have had the guts to say anything to him. I have no profound thoughts to share... but I did post... mostly because you urged me to do so (o: That was only a few of the pictures I have. By the way... i was so annoyed that blogger had changed my password and I had to mess around for to long trying to reset it!!! Crazy blogger (o:

    ReplyDelete
  11. He should wear a sign around his neck, "FRIENDLINESS OUT FOR PRAYER".

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Jeannie, I read this the other day and still can't believe it.
    Just wanted to say that it is snowing heavily here, even running errands looks doubtful. Stay warm today.
    Noreen

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's good that you asked. Let us know whether his response changes, but even if it doesn't at least you know what he's busy doing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Too funny! I would never have the nerve to say anything, I would just keep wondering if he was mad about something.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is so funny and a lesson that we never really know what's going on with the other people we come across and it's not always about "me."

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well, good for you for asking. And good for him for telling. And actually, I'm going to remember that one in case I ignore someone inadvertently!

    ReplyDelete