Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Yes, It Was Fun And It's Good To Be Home

I always love to go on a trip and I always love coming home. We had a great time in New Orleans. We spent our time mostly in the French Quarter and the Garden District where most locals, surprisingly to me, did not want to talk about the oil spill. I expect if we had been in places like Houma or Grand Isle that might have been different. Those who would talk about it seem to feel like things along and in the water are changed forever.

We were there as tourists so we did touristy things.

We rode the mule-drawn carriages through the French Quarter.
We liked this so much we did it more than once.

We rode the Canal Street cable car.

I did lots of walkabouts admiring the beautiful wrought iron balconies.

I thought this one covered with beads was fun.

I did some window shopping.

I thought this one might be appropriate for some BP execs.

I did my own personal praline sampling tour.
Aunt Sally's were especially yummy.

And, of course, beignets and cafe au lait at Cafe du Monde.
I went twice.



A centerpiece of the French Quarter, Jackson Square and the St. Louis Cathedral.
We were told that according to Kodak this is the 2nd most photographed spot in the world.
The first most photographed spot is Disney World.


There was music everywhere. The sights, the sounds, the smells and the tastes all worked together to make me a fan of New Orleans.

15 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures! I'm so glad you had a great time, in spite of the gulf. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for "taking" us on your trip...You gave us tidbits, the rest is up to our imagination...
    I am so glad you had such a nice time and enjoyed the spirit of New Orleans...
    But it certainly is good to be home, my sentiments exactly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're very brave going to New Orleans in the summer! But glad you had a good time. Didn't you just love the balconies...and did you get to see some of the pocket or courtyard gardens?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful pictures. I haven't been to New Orleans for many years. So nice to see it looks like it used to. You sound like you are having a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. such a great trip! i love pralines, and cafe du monde treats too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I´m glad you´re back and that you had a good time. The pictures are awesome and help us to feel like we were there too. :) That carriage ride looks like a lot of fun.
    I´m super busy this week, so I won´t be around blog land much. Hope you have a good week at home!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE New Orleans and hoping that my son picks and is accepted to Tulane next year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad I enlarged that last picture...so neat
    sounds like a great vacation
    I have never been there and probably will never make it
    so I enjoyed your tour (o:

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Jeanie, You had me at praline sampling tour! That is my idea of a really great tour. YOU.

    Thanks for showing us around. It looks like you had a really fun trip.

    jj

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a wonderful trip!!!

    There is something about coming home though and getting to sleep in your own bed - that is always my favorite part because you don't always realize how great home is until you have been away for a while.

    I am glad that you had a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I envy your opportunity to go, Jeanie! I love beignets.....yes I do! And that French quarter architecture is divine!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like you guys had fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. New Orleans looks like a rather lovely place.
    Had to laugh about the Spells for BP!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was there way back in the 80's - you know, when you're there for the party, couldn't care less about the scenery. Your pictures make me want to go back!

    ReplyDelete