Sunday, July 26, 2009

Things I wish I could still do....

It occurred to me recently that there a lot of things that I have been able to do at some point in my life that I don't or can't do anymore. This is sadly not a complete list, but includes a few of the things that are probably now in the past for me:

  • The splits-not a lot of call for this in everyday life, but it would sure be nice to still have that kind of flexibility.
  • Roller skate-I could, I'm sure, still roller skate, but I had the opportunity a couple of weeks ago and chose not to, mostly because I've broken my tail bone three times and that is the way I always seem to fall, and I would surely fall.
  • Drive over the speed limit-without feeling guilty.
  • Hand stands and cartwheels-again not much call for these, but still fun things to do.
  • Ski the blacks-I guess I could still do this, but I refer back to the broken tail bone thing above. I'll stick to the greens and blues...with lots of breaks for a hot toddy.
  • Leap tall buildings in a single bound-okay, I could never actually do this, but it would be nice to have the confidence of youth that makes us feel like we could.
  • Stay up all night-or at least get by on only six hours or so. I am pretty fond of a good eight hours.
  • Water ski-I actually could and would still do this, but no one with a boat and all the equipment has made me an offer for a while.
  • Drink coffee after 2 p.m.-don't want to threaten that good eight hours.

They say life is about trade offs, and back when I could do the splits and ski the blacks, I didn't have any grandchildren, so there you go.

No comments:

Post a Comment