Tuesday, July 21, 2009

New Words...Not mine

I read recently about the hundred or so new words that have just been added to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary. The truth is, even though I'm kind of a word nerd, I haven't been able to work too many (or, not any) of them into my everyday conversation and I don't have a blog topic that any of them fit easily into. A lot of them are pretty boring (medical terms and so forth), but a few of them were new to me and kind of interesting. In case anyone else can use them, here are a few I found interesting:

  • Frenemy: pretends to be a friend, but is actually and enemy.
  • Sock puppet: a false online identity used for deceptive purposes. (sounds like something a frenemy might do)
  • Staycation: a vacation spent at home or nearby. (We've heard this one a lot...let's hope we don't have to do it)
  • Locavore: one who eats foods grown locally whenever possible. (sounds more like a strange new insect to me)
  • Flash mob: a group of people summoned (as by e-mail or text message) to a designation at a specified time to perform an indicated action before dispersing. (sounds like fun, but you'd have to have a lot of free time to participate)
  • Vlog: a blog that contains video material. (I 'll do this when someone shows me how to add a video from my phone to my blog)

Spellcheck is apparently not as with it wordwise as I am...it doesn't like most these new words.

No comments:

Post a Comment