Sunday, June 7, 2009

I Need to Wear These Shoes More Often

I need to wear these shoes more often. I'm posting this picture to remind myself of that. I have been really bad about getting any kind of physical exercise lately. That was brought home to me a while back when I was on my feet most of the day for some reason, and at the end of the day I could really feel it. Thus my resolution, once again, to get into the habit of doing some kind of work out at least most days.

For me, it is a hard habit to get into, and a very easy one to get out of. That is due partly to laziness, and mostly to the fact that I just don't enjoy it. Many, many years ago (so long ago that it involved Joanna going to child care at the gym) I got somewhat addicted to going to an aerobics class. I never wanted to miss the class and felt that high that a good work out can bring about.

Other than that long ago phenomenon, I have never gotten into any exercise plan that I didn't have to force myself to do, every time. It's not that I don't have time, although it is particularly hard for me to do at the end of a work day, and I have never been one to get up extra early for a work out. It's that I would almost always rather be doing something else......reading a book, computer Mah Jong(that's a blog for another day, I seriously need a 12 step program), reading other people's blogs, or, well, just about anything else.

And it is not that I don't have opportunity. I live a few blocks from the Louisville Rec Center, there are several fitness centers within walking distance of my house, I have a treadmill and an exercise bike in the basement, and a small step machine right here next to my desk. All I need now is the will to stick to my resolution.

Okay, today was not a stellar start. I was going to start slowly, with a good walk. About half way through the time I had allotted it started raining, not a downpour, but more than a sprinkle, so I kept going. And then came the downpour. I took the short way back home, planning to finish up on the treadmill. By the time I got home I was really wet and cold and a hot bath and a few games of Mah Jong seemed like a much better idea than half an hour on the treadmill.

Tomorrow is another day. I probably won't report my successes (or failures), but wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment