Friday, June 6, 2014

Thanks Apple



The following is a short post I wrote about two years ago that, to say the least, fell flat with those who read it, never a good feeling for a blogger. A new TV ad that I just heard this week (see below) has made me feel a little better.

This blast from the past showed up on my car radio this morning. Most all of us (at least those of a certain age) will remember the Chicken Fat song, also known as "The Youth Fitness Song".



The song was written for President Kennedy's Physical Fitness Program and was distributed to all the school districts in the country in the early 60s. It was composed by Meredith Wilson and recorded by Robert Preston, both of Music Man fame. 

It became a hit song and was played in both schools and homes. I remember working out to it in gym class (wearing the one-piece gym suit that was the requirement of the day). For a time at my school it was even played each morning over the school speaker system so kids and teachers could work up a sweat before the day began.

Wherever and whenever it was played, when it came to the tag line Give that chicken fat back to the chicken and don't be chicken again!, everyone sang together at the top of their lungs.

Maybe a resurrection of the Chicken Fat song is just what we need to help solve the problem of today's childhood obesity.

If this song is a blast from your past, do you have any Chicken Fat Memories?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Nearly every person that commented on the post said in one way or another that they had never heard of the song, didn't know what I was talking about and certainly had no memories to share. Sigh....a blog bomb for sure.

Well, these nearly two years later Apple has made me feel a little better by featuring the Chicken Fat song in a new TV ad for the Iphone 5s. At least someone besides me remembers this song that I had such strong memories for me.

Thanks Apple

17 comments:

  1. I'm sure you're not making it up, but I don't remember it at my school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA! Don't feel bad; I remember that song, as well as all the hoopla about JFK's physical fitness program. We were physically tested at the beginning of the school year, and again at the end. In THOSE days, I was in pretty good shape. Not sure how much chicken fat I have now, but there are some swinging flaps of chicken skin under my arms. HA!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I SURE DO remember that song. I remember it well! My "Chicken Fat" memory involves Church Camp. My husband was the camp counselor for the Jr.High Boys Dorm. He had problems getting the guys to settle down and go to sleep. So, after a certain time if there was any "horsing around" he played the "Chicken Fat" song and EVERYONE had to get out of their bunk and do the exercise. It worked! Somewhere there are a bunch of "40 something" men who probably still remember this song too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have been between 4-6 years old when President Kennedy was in office (born 1957) so I wasn't in school and participating in the fitness program, but I do remember perhaps learning about it years later that he had an interest in children's fitness. I have not heard of this song, but I am gald to hear that Apple reprised it so it could help validate what you already knew from years ago.

    It is interesting with the child obesity problems. I think we need to get more kids out from in front of the TV/video games/technology and out in the front/back yard playing. I know growing up we were always outside playing, riding bikes and what not. Now it seems you rarely see a child outside....

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I hated PE during intermediate school. I was able to switch orchestra for PE in high school, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard of that song! I used to have the record and I think I still do, though by now, probably all scratched. AND it was sung by one of my all-time favorites, Robert Preston!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think Gigi's comment explains it. I too managed to get out of PE by joining the marching band. They considered that enough exercise. And in college I substituted Social Dance for PE. You didn't get out of PE and probably others your age who also were in PE will remember the song. Was this when you were in Tulsa? If my friend Patty Ann Elliott was still living she would know the song.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Jeanie! Yessum, I recall that awful song but, at the same time, I have pleasant memories of President Kennedy's youth fitness program. I was proud of him for taking the initiative and wanting every kid to have his "vi-gah." In addition to the sit-ups, push-ups, chin-ups and squat-thrusts we performed in the gym, I remember teachers leading students through a couple minutes of stretching and range of motion exercises as we stood next to our desks to get our blood circulating in the morning before classes started.

    Enjoy your day and week, dear friend Jeanie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gosh! I've never heard that song either, but I do remember Kennedy's fitness movement. We should be keeping it going with every administration, more so now than ever.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have heard the song before but I'm not sure it was in my childhood. I do remember the Presidential Fitness tests. I hated them. Made me feel very inadequate.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have NEVER heard that song before! Maybe it was only sung in the USA?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have not heard this song before!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have to admit, that even as a child of the sixties, this song has escaped my memory. But then, a lot of things seem to escape my memory these days.
    Since our gym classes were gender segregated, maybe it was only played in the girls classes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Never heard of it- but I do remember singing "♪♫School days, School Days, dear old golden rule days♪♫." Hope that makes you feel better. Here from the Grand Social; BB2U.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I remember LOVING this song!

    Did really poorly on the Presidential Fitness tests, though, while my brother and sister passed easily every year...

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  16. I do not remember this song but now I am intrigued. And I agree with Kay's comment - the fitness movement should be continued by every administration!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I recall hearing this exercise pep song on the early morning Jack Lalanne show. (some people may be saying, "who was Jack Lalanne?")

    ReplyDelete